Save Cruelty Free Cosmetics – Commit to a Europe Without Animal Testing
EUROPEAN CITIZENS' INITIATIVE
Every year across Europe, around ten million animals are used in laboratories in testing and research. Dogs, cats, monkeys, pigs, rats, mice, rabbits and other animals are kept behind locked doors, their short lives spent suffering in experiments that seldom deliver on their promise to advance human health and environmental protection. Not only do cruel and outdated animal experiments fail animals, but they also fail humans too. The time is now to say enough is enough. And the citizens of Europe agree – over one million of you have told decision-makers in the European Union that you want:
- Safe cosmetics without animal testing for any purpose at any time
- To protect human health and the environment from chemicals using modern science not animals
- An ambitious EU-wide action plan to bring testing on animals to an end
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Together with PETA, the ECEAE, Eurogroup for Animals, HSI Europe and many other organisations across Europe, we collected an incredible 1,413,383 signatures on our Save Cruelty Free Cosmetics/End Animal Testing European Citizens’ Initiative. But what does this mean, and what happens next?
- There is a three-month validation period where we bundle the digital and paper signatures together and an authority in each country then verifies them. Because this is an official EU initiative, each signature goes through a verification process.
- The authorities will then come back to us with a final figure that we can submit to the European Commission.
- The Commission will then carefully examine the initiative. Within a month after receiving the initiative, Commission representatives will meet us so we can explain in detail the issues raised in their initiative.
- Within three months, the initiative will have a hearing in the European Parliament followed by a possible vote.
- Within six months, the Commission will adopt a formal response spelling out what action it will propose in response to the citizens' initiative.
Our European Citizens’ Initiative is going into the verification phase – but it’s no time to rest! We still need your help.
Every year across the European Union, around 10 million animals are used in laboratories in the European Union – mice, rats, rabbits, cats, dogs, pigs and monkeys and other animals. Unable to carry out many of their natural behaviours, they are confined to cages and treated as living test tubes. Tell the European Commission that you support the citizens’ initiative, and you demand action now.
Please email the Commission today and make sure they listen. Together, we can achieve a Europe in which no animals suffer in laboratories.
KEEP IN TOUCH
The success of the campaign was down to everyone who signed the ECI and the collaboration between the many NGOs and others across Europe. Please contact one of these groups if you’d like to hear more from an organisation that’s based in your country: View the full list of organisations here.
Or sign up to receive emails from Cruelty Free Europe about the ECI and other campaigns.
You can make a vital difference to animals in laboratories by signing up to receive our campaign alerts. You’ll also be the first to hear about the latest appeals, campaigns and news on how you can support us to end animal research in Europe!