EU Pharma Strategy is an opportunity for change
We call on the Commission to prioritise non-animal research
- Put Innovation in safety and efficacy and specifically the replacement of animal testing in this strategy.
- Ensure the principles of ‘Promotion of Alternative Methods’ and ‘Animal testing as a Last resort’ (found in the EU REACH chemicals legislation) are embedded in the strategy, including considerations about funding, coordination of research and regulatory reform.
- Ensure Horizon Europe prioritises non-animal methods so that the EU can regain its leadership in this area, currently being overtaken by efforts in the US.
- Review the Medicines Directive 2001/83/EC, so that technological advances related to replacement of animal testing can be safely and efficiently accommodated.
- Give the European Medicines Agency similar powers to the European Chemicals Agency in ensuring ‘Promotion of Alternative Methods’ and ‘Animal Testing as a Last Resort’, including formalising a dedicated working group.
- Build regulatory change and increased investment in non-animal methods into the EU’s plans to restore resilience and competitiveness post-coronavirus.